Monday, April 8, 2013

Potty Mouth


A beached whale, lumpy bumpy even jiggly wiggly are some of the descriptions I've used for myself over the years. I've passed by store windows and wondered why had my buttocks become a separate person and why was she following me. I've had weeks when the mirror at home made me feel lovely and beautiful to behold. Then I'd get to the gym and wonder why were there parts of my body moving that I new not that I had. God forbid I'd go into a fitting room. That excursion would end in a decision to hide myself under the closest rock. A big rock mind you.

With all that said... I realized if my daughters talked about themselves the way I have... I would sternly reprimand them. Then I would stand them before a mirror and give each a dissertation on how beautiful she is and how beauty is within and without. More importantly the latter. Then I'd tell her women will vary in size for a myriad of reasons. Regardless of her size she must see herself as God see's her. I would tell her she should never focus on her weight but health. I would tell her no matter her size she should buy clothes for her current weight. She can look attractive, neat and feminine at any size.
Okay my confession. Why would I not speak those same words to myself? Words I'd speak to my daughters, sister and friends. Why do I lack such grace for myself? How can I look at women of any size and see the incredible beauties that they are? Yet look in mirror and feel such disappointment. Sit in a middle of a pile of discarded outfits and decide not to go. (wherever)
Do I really believe Psalm 139:14? Would I not stand before a group of young women and speak with insistence about how beautiful they are? About how God doesn't make mistakes but makes all things beautiful. How they are the apple of His eye. None of that contigent on the what size they are.
So as I realize how I would refuse to accept my daughters having potty mouths in their descriptions of themselves, I have to practice the same. How can we expect the women that we love so much and influence to have a healthy view of themselves when speak so negatively about ourselves? They hear the words we speak and soon we'll hear them speak the same of themselves. I'm going to start by sternly reprimanding myself. I'm going to be careful of the words that I speak to and about myself. Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. That means we have to know and believe in our hearts what God says about us. Then speak it.
Our challenge...
1. Mediate on Psalm 139
2. Thank God daily for making us and how He's made us
2. Accept compliments with a simple 'Thank You'

3. Refuse to speak with negative references about yourself

4. Focus on becoming a healthier women




2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I was just giving my daughter a lecture today about how it is okay to not shave her legs since God put the hair there in the first place. She says, "why am I even talking to you ... I knew you would say something negative?" LOL! My reply, "you are the one who is talking negative because you think it is something wrong with how God created you". And I look in the mirror and say to myself, "that baby took my butt, I want it back". LOL! I guess I should atleast appreciate that I have a behind to sit on. Thanks for that awesome story! You should compose a book with these stories entitled, "From the Heart of a Mother".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Latonya! I hope to one day. It is hard encouraging training our girls isn't it. You're doing an amazing job. Love you friend.

      Delete